Posted: January 28, 2019
Company: General Assembly
Headquarters: New York
Who are we?
Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
GA has a remote-friendly culture with offices around the world. If you prefer the office, our headquarters are located in New York City. Twice a year, the entire Product team gets together in New York for a week of team building, workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures, and an epic hackathon.
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. We care about writing good software that is clean, concise, and well-tested; flexible and easy to maintain. Our stack is Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL and ReactJS, but we are not dogmatic and believe in using the right tools for a particular problem.
- Capable of end-to-end problem solving; accurately debugging problems quickly.
- Finds common ground quickly and solve problems and provide feedback for the good of all with a minimum of noise and is seen as a team player who easily gains trust and support of others.
- Capable of guiding and directing junior staff on a project. Respected as a senior team member in guiding technical direction.
- Deep object-oriented programming knowledge and ability, more advanced concepts likely have a working knowledge.
- Follows established patterns and approaches within existing code bases with ease.
- Exemplifies professional team and organizational standards. Helps set and maintain professional standards for the team.
- Writes code with good test coverage; knows the best way to approach testing in all scenarios beyond the ‘happy path’. Expected to know and be able to practice TDD.
- Senior-level knowledge of system-level tooling. Capable of more advanced development tool workflows for local and production system debugging.
- Understands fundamental concepts of systems development life cycle (SDLC), and is responsible for adherence to all practical aspects.
- Should be aware of the business value in work being done. Able to prioritize own work when given business value context.
- Responsible for maintaining and evangelizing professional standards and technical strategy for your team.
- Drives and creates work for existing and forthcoming projects, and be able to deliver project goals and tasks to other engineers. Analyzes requirements to determine the feasibility of design options within time and cost constraints.
- Assures adherence to best practices and department processes around system maintainability and health.
- Provides front-line support, and shares responsibility for 24/7 uptime of all services the team provides.
- Is responsible for understanding which operations affect the scope of the budget and operate within a budget.
- Is expected to be able to provide input on changes that affect the budget. Solid understanding of software capitalization and is expected to be able to provide input as it relates to engineering efforts.
- Remote / flexible working hours
- Highly Competitive Salary
- Generous parental leave
- Annual Education Allowance
- Gym Allowance
- Apple Macbook Pro + External Monitor
- Flexible PTO
- 401k Retirement plan
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Company iPhone
Who can apply?
You are living in or willing to self-relocate to…
- The USA in any of these states: CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, NY, NC, TX, VA, WA and/or WI