Posted: November 18, 2018
Headquarters: Durham, NC
Principals only, no recruiters. Currently, we are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the continental US. All applicants must have an existing US work visa.
Spreedly is an API based payments company headquartered in Durham, NC. We are a stable, growth stage start up with a team that enjoys working together and is remote friendly and inclusive. Our culture is based around our dedication to a meaningful work/life balance, and our commitment to that is reflected in the way we’ve structured the company, as well as the benefits and perks that we offer employees. We’re currently searching for an experienced systems engineer to join our high-functioning engineering team and start contributing quickly as we migrate our data-center based infrastructure to AWS.
Systems Engineering is our internal team that focuses on the development and operation of Spreedly’s systems through well-designed tooling and accountable processes. You’re building the platform on which Spreedly operates. So you might be responsible for provisioning a new component in our production environment, but you should also be thinking of how to deliver that service in a way that lets the other engineering teams use and operate it themselves.
The Systems Engineering team also takes on projects that ensure the scalability and security of Spreedly’s transactional service. One such example might be managing the migration to new logging infrastructure, or the re-encryption of millions of sensitive credit cards. So this really is a true engineering role with development and operational concerns, and that should be exciting to you!
Spreedly’s business is working with and storing credit card data, so thinking about security is a way of life at Spreedly, as is building sustainable processes to keep things safe (and our auditors happy!).
What we’re looking for in a Senior Systems Engineer is somebody who’s not afraid to jump into complex infrastructure and systems problems and make sense of them. We are actively migrating to an AWS infrastructure, so you will have a chance to impact and help design our next generation production infrastructure and systems. We regularly deal with the deeper fabric of software – think encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system. You don’t have to be an expert in any of those aspects, but you should be really open to learning about them.
- Experience operating and building systems on physical hardware as well as AWS
- Comfort treating infrastructure as code (we use Ansible, Packer, Docker, and Jenkins)
- Experience, or familiarity with, modern cloud orchestration tooling (like Terraform, in our case)
- Ability to build, operate, and deliver solutions in support of distributed systems
- A willingness to be a generalist and dig into new things you’ve never done before
- Excellent written communications, and a track record of documenting your work
- The ability to operate semi-autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- A quiet confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today the team manages Riak, NGINX, HAProxy, Consul, Redis, and Linux … but are always pragmatically evaluating new services and tools
What We Offer
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits (we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families)
- Open PTO policy
- Tues./Thurs. in-office days- the rest of the week employees work wherever they choose
- Paid lunches on in-office days
- 12 weeks paid Family leave
- Company sponsored 401k
- Yearly paid professional development
We are open to remote candidates, with the caveat that you must be located in the continental US and be able to travel to our Durham office once a quarter. With ~30% of our engineers already remote, we are experienced supporting remote employees. If you are remote we’d like for you to have had prior experience working in a remote setting.
We’re constantly striving to have the fairest and most productive hiring process possible. We want to ensure that every candidate is treated equally and our interactions are designed with that goal in mind. If you want to get a sense for what your application process will look like, we’d encourage you to read the following: Stop Hazing Your Potential Hires and Programming Puzzles Are Not the Answer.
If this at all sounds interesting, we’d love to hear from you!
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples and structured interviews.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does – handling payment data – candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later – we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
To apply: https://jobs.lever.co/spreedly